Thursday, June 14, 2007

PRINCETON PROF ADDED TO 'NO-FLY" LIST

PRINCETON PROFESSOR WHO CRITICIZED BUSH
ADDED TO TERRORIST 'NO-FLY" LIST
http://balkin.blogspot.com/2007/04/another-enemy-of-people.html
<http://balkin.blogspot.com/2007/04/another-enemy-of-people.html>


A top Constitutional scholar from Princeton who gave a televised
speech that slammed President George W. Bush's executive overreach
recently learned that he had been added to the Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) terrorist watch list.

Walter F. Murphy, McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence, Emeritus, at
Princeton University, attempted to check his luggage at the curbside
in Albuquerque before boarding a plane to Newark, New Jersey. Murphy
was told he could not use the service.

"I was denied a boarding pass because I was on the Terrorist Watch
list," he said.

When inquiring of a clerk why he was on the list, Murphy was asked if
he had participated in any peace marches. "We ban a lot of people from
flying because of that," a clerk said.

Murphy then explained that he had not marched, but had "in September,
2006, given a lecture at Princeton, televised and put on the Web,
highly critical of George Bush for his many violations of the
Constitution."

The clerk responded, "That'll do it."

Prof. Murphy stated: "I fought in the Korean War as a young
lieutenant, was wounded, and decorated for heroism. I remained a
professional soldier for more than five years and then accepted a
commission as a reserve office, serving for an additional 19 years. I
presented my credentials from the Marine Corps to a very polite clerk
for American Airlines.

"After carefully examining my credentials, the clerk asked if he could
take them to TSA officials. I agreed. He returned about ten minutes
later and said I could have a boarding pass, but added: 'I must warn
you, they're going to ransack your luggage.' On my return flight, I
had no problem with obtaining a boarding pass, but my luggage was
'lost."

Mark Graber, who reported the incident, adds that there were other
reasons that Murphy was an unlikely terror suspect: "While he holds
some opinions, most notably on welfare, similar to opinions held on
the political left, he is a sharp critic of Roe V. Wade, and supported
the Alito nomination."

--- End forwarded message ---